Hiring Executive Director!
Jackson Growth Alliance is looking to hire an executive director position to fill a needed economic development role in Jackson County! Organization and position details below, as well as how to apply.
Job Title: Jackson Growth Alliance Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Effective Date: April 1, 2021
Classification of Job: Exempt, Full-Time preferred
Salary Range: $35,000-$45,000/year
The employee in this position administers various economic development programs and multiple projects. The employee must be detail-oriented and have proficient computer skills. The ideal candidate will be personable, with strong communication and networking skills; have knowledge of business practices; be able to assess the feasibility of proposed economic development projects; monitor progress on existing projects, and; suggest new concepts and alternative approaches to resolve problems.
The Jackson Growth Alliance Director will act as the economic development liaison county-wide and regionally for Jackson County.
About the Position
The Director of Jackson Growth Alliance (JGA) will represent Jackson County in local, regional, and state partnerships, and will build strong relationships with the business community. From time to time, the position will require attendance and presentations at Jackson County Board meetings, City Council meetings, Chamber meetings and the meetings of other relevant organizations, as necessary. The Director shall communicate effectively and clearly with all stakeholders, and will work to market and attract commercial, retail, and industrial opportunities to achieve sustainable economic development and employment growth in Jackson County. The position will also act as the primary point of contact for economic development activity within Jackson County, outside of the City of Carbondale’s jurisdiction, and will work closely with multiple local, regional, state, and national organizations.
Essential Job Functions
- Primary focus will be on efforts in Jackson County that include face-to-face visits; acting as liaison between the business and state, county, and local officials.
- Conduct business retention and expansion visits, surveying their needs, and following up on the needs identified.
- Assist in new business recruitment efforts by responding to requests for information, company site visit planning and execution, available real estate searches, and participating in networking opportunities.
- Assist existing and new businesses with financial incentives, such as Tax Increment Financing Districts, Enterprise Zones, and other new/existing economic and community development incentives, and become knowledgeable about any other available federal, state, and local economic development incentive programs.
- Analyze social, economic, and other data and trends for planning purposes, and research projects including but not limited to demographics, statistics, maps, and prospect reports in anticipation of responding to site selectors’ requests for information and used in developing and updating the Strategic Plan & Operating Plan.
- Enter and update available properties in the LocationOne Information System database, as necessary.
- Assist the Board as requested in preparing the annual budget, monthly reports, and annual report.
- Update and maintain Jackson Growth Alliance website, social media content and print material, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the JGA Board of Directors.
Education & Experience Requirements
A bachelor’s degree and five years of experience in a related field is required.
Other Position Requirements
- Knowledge of principles and practices in managing non-profit organizations, resource development activities and sources of funding.
- Demonstrate ability to organize, plan, coordinate, and execute operations.
- Execute leadership skills, including negotiation, problem solving, decision making, and delegation.
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Availability to attend evening meetings and events, as necessary.
- Capable of lifting up to 25-pounds.
- Require travel inside and outside the county and have a valid Illinois driver’s license.
- Must be a Jackson County resident, become one within 6 months of hire, or otherwise negotiated.
How to apply
For position consideration, please submit resume to Jackson Growth Alliance, P.O. Box 23, Carbondale, IL 62903, or to email@example.com by March 12, 2021. For questions regarding the position, please contact JGA Board Chair, Brooke Guthman, via email or at (618) 534-1615.Director Job Description